By Kyrie Luke
Autumn homemaking is something I dream about all year long until Autumn comes and then I can unleash the cozy! Before I continue, I want to clarify, homemaking is something you can be whether you stay home, work from home, go to the office, have 10 kids, have no kids – if you live in a house and strive to make it a home – you’re a homemaker in my eyes.
Related: Toxin-free favorite products
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. See my full disclosure here.
Autumn homemaking Video
Now, back to Autumn Homemaking! Yes, I’m one of the crazy ones that prefer the cool Autumn breeze over the hot summer sun. The feeling of this particular change of season has such a special place in my heart. However, there are a few things I really dislike about Fall. First, the fresh produce from summer is traded out for muffins and scones (my tastebuds actually love this). Second, the toxic scented candles that litter racks in stores. Lastly, the once-a-year decor.
Believe me, I’m all about all three of those things, but there are more healthy, non-toxic and economical ways to go about making a cozy home for your family in Autumn!
The 5 senses of Autumn homemaking
As a homemaker, I’m always thinking of ways to make my home a joyful, cozy and inviting place for my family. In doing this, I always go back to the 5 senses to inspire me. See some ideas here:
- Do an Autumn clean – (similar to Spring cleaning, only in autumn). Get all those nooks and crannies that have been neglected during the summer fun. I like to go through the house and wash the windows, do a deep clean of counters, sweep in areas I never sweep. Sprinkle baking soda and essential oils on our mattresses. You get the idea!
- Instead of getting once a year decor that you have to stash away every year, adding to more clutter, try searching for natural ways to make your house look like Fall. Go outside and grab some of that pretty foliage and make it into a bouquet. Pretty Fall leaves can go a long way in your home! Bring out your cozy blankets and put them on display.
- Display baked goods or yummy food! Make a batch of my chocolate cardamom muffins or pumpkin spice cinnamon rolls set them out on a beautiful serving tray and enjoy!
Related: Pumpkin Spice Granola Bark Recipe
Related: Pumpkin Sourdough Cinnamon Rolls
- Display lights around your patio! These are gorgeous all year long, but even better as the days start getting shorter and you can enjoy the dim lighting longer.
- Autumn homemaking wouldn’t be complete without making some delicious homemade treats. Use your sourdough starter to make homemade bread! If you don’t have a sourdough starter yet use my tutorial here. I have the most delicious recipe for roasted garlic sourdough bread that would go perfect with my Spiced Pumpkin and Chorizo soup!
- Coffee and Fall go hand in hand. Make a special coffee, like my cardamom french press, my caramel apple iced coffee, maple pecan latte or salted mocha!
- Make a seasonal meal plan so you can enjoy the specific tastes of Fall! Click here for my complete Fall & Winter meal plan complete with over 50 recipes, a bonus pantry essentials ebook, and weekly grocery lists! My recipes in this ebook have all the seasonal favorites of fall!
- As a homemaker, I love when my husband comes home to a clean house, food made, and peaceful music playing. I try to make the house as cozy as possible – all season long; I just find it easier in Autumn. 🙂 So, I’ll put on some soft Jazz music, or, our favorite, instrumental.
- Making a home cozy in Fall is so easy because the cool weather makes you want to bundle up anyway! I like to have the fireplace going, and big, plush cozy blankets everywhere.
- Instead of burning candles that are flooded with harmful fragrances and chemicals that emit VOCs use a diffuser and essential oils! There are beautiful essential oil scents that smell like Fall. Below I give you 4 different Fall essential oil diffuser blends!
- Again, bringing it back to food, bake something yummy, make a cup of one of my Fall coffee drinks, or make some delicious spiced pumpkin and chorizo soup! Making food homemade is a great way to make your home cozy for Fall.
- Use a dutch oven to make stovetop Autumn Potpourri.
autumn Homemaking essential oil diffuser blends
autumn homemaker diffuser blend
My favorite essential oil for my home is Vetiver – there’s something about this scent that is so incredibly calming and warm. This blend has benefits of calming from the vetiver, mood uplifting from the bergamot, and the clove gives it a bit of a spicy scent perfect for Autumn.
- 3 drops vetiver essential oil
- 2 drops bergamot essential oil
- 2 drops vanilla essential oil
slow Autumn morning diffuser blend
I love making this diffuser blend on a chilly Autumn morning. You know, those slow mornings where you make your coffee, maybe some pancakes, and enjoy the warmth of being inside. This essential oil diffuser blend has benefits of being a mood uplifter from the coffee, stress reducer from the blood orange and sweet smell of the vanilla makes your house smell so comforting.
- 2 drops coffee essential oil
- 2 drops blood orange essential oil
- 2 drops vanilla essential oil
Cozy sweater weather diffuser blend
This spicy blend is bold and an Autumn classic. This Autumn diffuser blend has benefits of improving digestion from the cassia and cardamom (I like this one for my kitchen diffuser) and is a mood uplifter from the nutmeg.
- 2 drops Cassia essential oil
- 2 drops Cardamom essential oil
- 2 drops Nutmeg 2 drops essential oil
Autumn homemaking non-toxic candles
I absolutely adore candles, but I do not love that most of them are filled with harmful chemicals and fragrance. So, when Simply Earth (affiliate link) sent their monthly box and the theme was candle-making, I was so excited! Nothing better to complete a cozy Autumn day of homemaking than making my own non-toxic candles!
To make their Sweet Dreams Floral Candle (you can use any oils you want for this but I used Simply Earth).
Time needed: 20 minutes.
How to make non-toxic candles
- Gather ingredients
1/3 cup soy wax, 1 tbs beeswax, 1/2 tbs coconut oil, 40 drops essential oil of choice, 1 cotton wick, 1 small candle jar (I used an old bone broth amber jar I had saved and I tripled the recipe so it would fill the jar).
Use a double boiler to melt wax and oil. Once melted, remove from heat.
- Add oils
Once the candle has cooled a bit, add your essential oils and stir them up.
Dip the bottom of the wick into the melted wax. Stick the bottom of the wick to the bottom of your jar.
Fill the jar up with melted wax and let it cool and solidify completely. Trim wick to about 1/4 inch.
Keep this away from children and pets – especially when lit.
If you’d like to join Simply Earth, use code HEALTHFULLYROOTEDFREE for a $40 gift card with the purchase of your first box! They send a monthly box with different essential oils and a kit to make whatever the theme is for that month. It’s such a fun concept and I’m SO looking forward to next month’s box.
autumn homemaker morning routine
As a homemaker in Autumn, there are a few things I like to do each morning – no matter what season, but especially in Autumn – that set the whole house up for a good day. Of course, as a mama to a baby (and also just a normal human), not every single morning looks like this, but most do because all of this only takes a few minutes each day!
- This one is actually done the night before, but it sets us up for a great morning – I tidy up the house, fluff the pillows, and make sure there aren’t any dishes in the sink.
- I wake up and make our bed. Going into my room and seeing our bed made – it pulls the whole room together and makes me feel like my house is put together even if it’s not.
- Put on comfy and warm clothes. Usually my slippers and a robe of some kind.
- Put one of my Autumn diffuser blends in the diffusers to wake us up and uplift our mood.
- I turn on soft music – usually worship music, soft jazz, or instrumental.
- Make us a cup of coffee and a healthy breakfast.
pin it for later – autumn homemaking
never miss a post!
shop this post
(These affiliate links help to support this blog at no extra cost to you. Your support means the world to me!)
- Berkey water filter (we use the Royal because we drink an insane amount of water!)
- Simply Earth essential oils – They send super fun monthly kits with a theme and everything you need to make that month’s themed product. This month is was non-toxic candles! You can also just buy one-off purchases.
- Primally Pure – Literally the most luxurious products you’ll ever use. Seriously.
- Thrive Market – 25% off & free gift! (where I get a ton of my ingredients)
- Azure Standard: $25 off your order. Code kyrieluke1
- Dutch oven
- Stand mixer
- Boos Block Butcher Block
- 12 inch Cast Iron Skillet
More from Healthfully rooted home
- Lemonade Scones No Cream
- Secrets to a Clean House Every Homemaker Should Know
- Berkey vs Brita Water Filters
- How to Store Sourdough Bread
- List of Kitchen Essentials for a New Home