This super simple homemade ancho aioli recipe is delicious on sweet potato fries, as a sandwich spread, burgers, grilled chicken, tacos you name it! I use my base mayo recipe and add just a few more ingredients to make it ancho style.
Base aioli ingredients
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbs dijon mustard
- 1 tbs juice from a lemon or lime
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup avocado oil more or less depending on desired thickness
- 1 tsp ancho chili powder can substitute chili powder
- 1 tsp harissa paste can substitue chili paste
Place all the ingredients (except oil) into a blender, or cup of an immersion blender.
Start blending while simultaneously drizzling the oil in. This will give you that creamy and thick consistency.
Once oil is added, if using immersion blender, lift the blender up just over the top of the aioli to let some air into it then back down to blend. This makes it nice and creamy!
Add more avocado oil to thin it out if desired.
tips for making spicy mayo
- Adjust spice - if you aren't big on spice, start with just a little bit of chili powder and chili paste and increase if needed. Remember, you can always add more but you can never take it out.
- Control consistency - same idea here, start with less avocado oil and add more to reach your desired consistency. If you're drizzling your ancho aioli, then you'll want it a bit thinner than if you were dipping.
- Shortcut - This is a super quick recipe as is, but if you're pressed for time, use storebought mayo and just stir in the ancho ingredients. No need for a blender and no need to make your own mayo!
how to store Harissa aioli
Store your harissa aioli in the refrigerator for up to 10 days (if it lasts that long in your house!).